Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Horses are horses--treat 'em that way.

I just read a heartbreaking article about the death of 2012 Arabian Horse Breeder of the Year Sue Eves. 

http://readingeagle.com/news/article/top-horse-breeder-from-north-heidelberg-township-kicked-to-death-by-horse-authorities-say

I don't usually comment on things that I don't have the full backstory on, but this article REALLY struck me. This long-time equestrian was literally "kicked to death" by one of her own horses. From the article: "Marinaccio [a friend of the deceased] said Eves would not have blamed the horses for her death.

"It's just something horses do," Marinaccio said. "She teaches you that right away. "Horses just do things. I got bitten one time. That's something horses do. They don't do it maliciously. They just do it. She would never, ever blame the horse." "

Oh HELL no. Yes, they absolutely CAN and WILL bite/kick/etc maliciously! They will not call you in the hospital after they put you there to say they're sorry! This is why I am so anal retentive about my horses knowing I'M at the top of the food chain--not them. They know I could eat them at any time...but I choose not to. Today. (Adapted from the brilliant Mugwump--because she can say it so much more eloquently than I!)

Part of me just doesn't understand how this could happen--assuming I'm making factual assumptions, of course.  I understand HOW it happened.  But I don't understand how this could happen.  As an experienced horsewoman...surely she understood discipline is necessary?...

I remember one day before we moved to Wyoming, my parents came to visit me at the barn.  Chev was a huge 4 year old dragging me all over the place and I had to get pretty hard on her.  I could tell from her facial expression that my Ma was pained watching my poor pony get whacked with a lead rope.  I, however, at 1/10th her size, did not feel bad.  It's important that she "respects" me (side note: Gosh, do I hate that term!  Talk about overused phrases in the horse world).  I'm not unfair--I only strongly enforce when she's ignoring my polite requests.  I'd much rather do everything with a light touch on the leadrope, but that's up to her.

I've now spent over 20 years of my life around horses.  I'll always be indebted to the trainers and instructors who have helped me along the way.  I took 10+ years of bimonthly or weekly lessons (and if I could afford them, I'd sure as heck take 10 years more!).  I've spent a lot of time watching horses interacting with each other, with people and under saddle.  I read EVERYTHING.  I tried to take it all with a grain of salt.  I know I don't know anything.  But I DO know it's important to be the top spot in the pecking order when it comes to animals that could seriously injure or kill you without even trying.

Horses can and will literally kill you. Horses are not people. Treat them like horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment