Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday: the day where nothing goes as planned

Well, high wind warning + cramps = I didn't get out to the barn today.  Bummer.

On the upside, I finally have a plan.

Whenever the weather permits, here is what I am going to do.

1.  Drive to barn.  Or, get gas first.  Whatever.  Drive to barn.

2.  Take brush out of front seat, tie Chev in her pen, brush her out.  Put boots on.

3.  Straight to roundpen for some much need groundwork (see last post).

4. Straight to tack shed.  Saddle.

5.  Ride the ever loving bajesus out of her.  It's time to stop treating her like a 3 year old.

6.  Nice long cool out, maybe hit the trail.

7.  Put horse up.

8.  Drive home.

For now I'm just going to completely avoid the wash rack.  I'm not going to make a big bloody deal of it, and just move forward.  I think if I can fix some of the other little things it will cease to be an issue.  What I don't want is a big fight every time I come out, so I'm just going to ignore it for now.

Plus, when something like this crops up I tend to forget all about the many awesome things she does.  Like for example:  She has had 2 rides in the last three weeks, due to my vacation and other things.  When I rode her the other day she was wonderful, despite a loud and very near tractor dragging a pen right on the other side of the low arena fence, a squealing, crazy Arabian flipping out on the lunge in the arena next door, wind, and all kinds of other distractions.  She was calm, focused, and didn't flick an ear as we loped by just a couple of feet from the tractor.  She picked up both leads without a hitch, and she was so balanced I even forgot we were on her "bad" lead several times.  So I have a lot to be thankful for.  I think I'm just a lot better at fixing problems in the saddle than on the ground.

So, here's hoping.

1 comment:

  1. A plan is a beautiful thing. I love plans. And lists too. And organized file cabinets. Not that mine ever is, but I also love a clean desk. Or a well organized and clean tack room. Sigh. I would be OCD if it wasn't so much damn work. Here's to the plan!!!

    ReplyDelete