Saturday, March 31, 2012

So, I saw the filly today

And I just KNOW my mom is going to kill me when she reads this post.

Don't worry Ma, I didn't buy her.

Here are some of the photos I got today:





These are my first impressions:
- Small!  (I'm used to my 16 hand, 1300# monster)  I'd say she's around 13.1, 13.2 right now as a coming 2 year old
- Very friendly
- Pretty filly

These are the things I like:
- big hip, overall fairly balanced for a coming 2 year old
- pretty face
- decent shoulder
- low set hocks
- appears to be fairly straight through the front legs
- wide chest
- very friendly and curious
- pleasant, large, kind eye
- not over handled, not started
- should mature to around 15 hands, the height I'm looking for
- moves level

Things I don't like as much:
- a little too straight through the back legs, somewhat post legged (like to hear opinions on this as it's not a fault I have much experience with), possibly a little sickle-hocked
- short pasterns
- neck is a little thick (but looks more elegant when she carries her head down, which seems natural for her), hard to tell with thick hair coat
- light color (but of course, a good horse can't be a bad color in my book--so that's less of a problem)
- not a super impressive pedigree, but would probably do okay at lower level reining, etc

I also got a couple (bad, unfortunately) pictures of the stud, who is sweet, sweet sweet.  He obviously has had some super handling and the breeder has had him since he was a yearling.  Not at all nosy or lippy, but is curious and friendly.  I was very impressed with him and never would have known he was a stallion from his behavior.  My SO is 6' in the photos, I think Hollywood Dunit Good is probably right around 14.2.

[As whisper_the_wind had mentioned in my last post, No, he doesn't look as photoshopped (or as post legged) in real life.  Yes, that is his real tail.  And the breeder's daughter is really into graphic design--she for sure did the photo editing on their website.]



So what do y'all think?  First impressions?  Concerns?  Loves?  This is also all posted on the Equine Mind Meld forum if you'd rather comment there!

No comments:

Post a Comment