Wednesday, March 28, 2012

HeART of the horse, & other news

Hi all, I wanted to plug for a wonderful rescue today!

Save a Forgotten Equine (SAFE) is everything I think of when I imagine the perfect rescue.  They only take in the number of animals they can afford, they provide cutting edge veterinary treatment for all the horses they rescue, and they make sure all SAFE horses are safe for life--if they don't work out with their adopters, they come right back to the rescue until the right match can be found.  This means they have many of their horses for years on end, and they never slack on feed, farrier or veterinary care.  They also put training on horses whenever they can, and use professional trainers to do this.

It may come as no surprise to you all that I am a very poor person--I think the correct descriptory phrase is "horse poor".  I am rich in many areas of my life.  Just not in a money area.

I've always wanted to support SAFE, but all my extra money goes toward my horse, and I'm 2 states away so volunteer work isn't an option.  But they're having this incredible fund raiser this year called HeART of the Horse--and I'm finally getting to make a contribution!

Here's the website for the HeART of the Horse auction that will be taking place May 12th, 2012 at the historic Hollywood Schoolhouse in Woodenville, WA:  http://heart.safehorses.org/


It's sure to be a great time and it's for a wonderful cause!

There are some national-caliber artists contributing to this auction benefit.  You can read about some of the artists here:  http://heart.safehorses.org/heartists/


I will be contributing my first print from my very limited first edition 18" x 24" giclee of Sparkafide, a print that I had been holding onto as part of my personal collection.  I feel honored to be able to contribute to this wonderful event!  The print is signed, dated and numbered, and printed on heavyweight archival matte paper.

 He could be yours!

I also wanted to include the website for SAFE, so you can meet them & see what a truly awesome organization they are.  Please take a peek:  http://www.safehorses.org/

In other news, I rode my horse today!

I did have to lay into her a little about getting off my inside leg.

She's got a really bad habit when she's out of shape of drifting in on your right leg when you're circling to the right.  She does not respect the inside leg and would much rather dump her shoulder and bulldoze along.  So I think we made some progress on that front.

We also worked a lot on cues for shoulder, sidepassing, and moving the hip, and turnarounds, and she's really starting to get some consistency there.

I also had a brief washrack session with her today.  I remembered that I had bought a super long dressage whip a few months ago thinking it would come in handy.  And today, it did!  I just led her up to the mats, rein in my left hand, whip in my right, and whenever she went backwards, she got a few sharp taps until she went forwards again.  She was standing on the washrack nicely after a few minutes of this.  I didn't try to tie her, but I think a few more sessions of that and she'll be back to normal.

It was even warm enough to rinse some of the entire winter's layer of sweat off of her!  I also can't believe how long her mane is getting.  I'm letting her try the au natural look this year.


She looks less fat in that photo for some reason, but she's not.  Look at this one:


And finally--Chevy and Speedy love:

d'awwww.

No comments:

Post a Comment