Sunday, March 11, 2012

Big bad life woes!

I think there may be some big changes on the horizon.

I am struggling with a desire to move back to my homeland.  I deeply miss my family and my close friends, my art connections, my equine connections and the availability of good jobs.

I know this is going to come as a shock to many of you--but I am really, truly, a very poor artist.  While it's great to not have a day job (haven't had much luck in finding one, actually, in this bustling metropolis of 6,000), it's not great having no money.

Plus, I miss my farrier.

I know that last thing is something only horse owners will understand.

Anyway.

All this has combined to make me feel sort of down in the dumps lately.  As I mentioned last time, I just returned from a lovely visit back home, where I remembered all the reasons I love Oregon.  I can deal with the rain.  Seriously.

But there are bills bills bills, student loans to be paid, etc, etc, etc.  Sometimes I feel like there isn't any way out of it all.  And then I think I'm being ridiculous.  Because of course there is.  I just need to find a job.

My work experience so far has been eclectic.  I am highly skilled in high pressure and customer service type positions.  I worked for 3 years in a high profile, high stress medical testing laboratory, where I climbed quickly through the ranks of temp-hire to workflow coordinator.  Did I like it?  Heck no.  I was exhausted every day.  But I had a lot of money in the bank.  And there were a few things I did enjoy.  I loved helping people.  I loved working hard.  And I loved making sure everything was done RIGHT.

I decided in the end that the stress was getting to be too much though, and transitioned into a veterinary receptionist position at (probably) the most expensive clinic in town.  I learned that people pretty much trample you when you're a receptionist.  Most of our clients were great, but there were some who thought anyone who was wearing a receptionist tag was a doormat.  I learned the finer points of client services finesse while at that job.

Plus, you have to have a little finesse when you're delivering a $6000 bill.

And darn it, I was great at my job.  If you'd been in the hospital in the last few weeks, I knew who you and your pet were, what you wanted and how I could help you before you even opened the door to come in.  I was that good.  And we had hundreds of clients.

But after about 3 years of some great times, some terrible times, and a whole lot of heartbreak, since it turns out I'm just not able to deal with euths on a daily basis, I moved to Wyoming.

Well, to clarify, I'm able to deal with the heartbreak as it's happening, but not when I'd come home to my kitties and stare at the wall for hours.  That stuff just isn't healthy.  Plus, I kinda had to stop at 3 cats, and it's pretty impossible to not accumulate animals when you work at a clinic.

I wanted to simplify my life.  And boy howdy, I got simple.

So now that I've had simple, I kind of want a little more complicated.  Like maybe a town that has more than 5 restaurants. 

But MOVING is complicated.

I have 2 kitties who are mine--err, I'm theirs--err whatever--Chat and Muffin--and one big, expensive horse.  Naturally there's no question about them coming with me.  I will drag them all over this darn nation if I have to.

 Here's Chaton

Here's the Fluff Man

Of course you already know the Queen Bee

It will be about $800 to ship Chevy back to Oregon.

Somewhere around $700 to rent a moving truck that will fit my stuff and is capable of pulling my little car.

Another $600 in fuel for said moving truck.

So what're we at now?  'Bout $2100 to start?

I need to sell some paintings.  Seriously people, I'm kind of desperate here.

Take a gander over at my webby:  www.mandrewsgallery.com

 Bolt, an APHA--an example of a $150 drawing.

I do custom work as well, and I'm very flexible on prices.  I have clients all over the US, but times are tough and it's hard to make connections in my little town.  If you've ever thought about having a drawing of your pony, now's a great time!  I'm just finishing up a logo project this weekend and then I'm wide open.


 Plains Storm #2


Wyoming Painting

Help me feel like my advanced degree in art was worth it :)

Speaking of money drains, here are a couple pics of Chev from today.


At least I'm not the only one who's getting a little tubby this winter.



2 comments:

  1. 1. Stuff like this is so difficult. If you decide to move to Washington instead of Oregon, my company is currently hiring a few people. We are a natural pet food manufacturer and a rapidly growing company. :)

    2. Do you have a Facebook page? I would love to share your stuff on my Facebook page and you know how lazy people are. If you don't have one, make one and we can get the link shared!

    3. Your art is amazingly beautiful. Maybe once I have solidly decided to keep the pony I will try to convince my husband that I need a commissioned artwork of her!

    Hang in there and I hope that something clicks for you soon! It's always hard to be in these in between spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mona, thanks for your words of encouragement. I do have a facebook page! You can find me at M Andrews Gallery & Fine Art, and here's a link that I hope will work: https://www.facebook.com/pages/M-Andrews-Gallery-Fine-Art/186303428112562

      Delete