Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Another video

I've been a busily planning little bee lately.

I figured out that I need about 150 t-post caps to cap off all the t-posts on the property (cost TBD, awesome friend Marian thinks she can get them wholesale for me), roughly 130 Sun Guard step-in fiberglass posts that are supposed to be good for temporary fencing (http://www.tractorsupply.com/sun-guard-ii-fiberglass-step-in-post-3602233), and about 3,900 total linear feet of electric polytape for the inside fence.  I think I've settled on this charger--needs to be solar powered because of the location of the pasture, and this one came with high marks:  http://www.horse.com/item/parmak-deluxe-field-solar-charger/BXF19/

I also found someone local who's selling a few hundred feet of good used v-mesh horse fencing for $100, which might be useful for protecting Chev from the barbed wire at the front part of the pasture where the electric fence needs to run closer to the barbed wire fence--just in case she were to get too close or decide to start pawing at something.

I also finally got out to RIDE said horse today--it always seems ironic to me that I can spend so much time planning horse things, looking at horse things and working on horse projects and never get to actually see the darn horse--but that's part of the point of moving her closer to me.  I am so ready to ditch this 2 hour commute.

I did get a short riding video today too.  I had to do some editing because of course I spent half the time off camera.  It's really hard to set all of that stuff up from the back of a horse--I have to move her out of the way, focus the camera, then move back in to start filming...I see why you need another person for this.

I have no idea what the loud BANG is in the beginning of the video.  I assumed when I turned around I'd see my camera laying sideways on the big metal barrel I put it up on--but everything was fine, so I dunno...Spirit barrel.

I did, however, get the straightest, most lifted canter depart ever on Chev yet today.  We have been really working on installing specific "buttons"--a touch here controls the shoulder, here the hip, here for sidepass, here for canter--she is catching on.  Unfortunately I have to be pretty exaggerated with my cuing at this point while she figures everything out, but still, it was exciting!  I usually have to really help her with the bend for her canter departs, this time I just barely touched her with my outside spur in the right spot, gave a little kiss and away she went!  She is also learning how hip control relates to the canter, since she is naturally built to kind of drag on into it.

I only got one depart on camera, bummer.

Without further ado...

No comments:

Post a Comment