Monday, April 16, 2012

I'm so busy, I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse

All the materials I ordered for the fence have arrived!

Yay!

Unfortunately the SO is in Nebraska for the week, so I probably won't get everything up and running until this coming weekend.

I also gave notice at my current barn, which despite my trepidations, went well.  They had already brought in 5 more boarders, so I don't think they'll be too sad to see me go.

But I'm sure Chevy will miss Speedy, and I'll miss him too.

Carrot please?  Carrot please?


Here's a picture of Chev from about a week ago, also hot on the carrot trail.


I know you always save the last one for me.  Fork it ovow.


I love that it is finally warm enough to rinse literally a whole winter's worth of sweat off of her.  Eww.  It was so bad that all the skin-drying salt coming off her coat cracked my hands all up when I rinsed her.  I bet she feels much better.

With the SO out of town, it's the perfect opportunity for me to make all the foods that he hates.

I know I haven't made this a foodie blog, because this is about horses (mostly) but man, do I love food.

Right now I'm having this:

Unfortunately I was a little short on feta.

My mom's Greek salad recipe--something the SO does not, sadly, appreciate.

I also have this in the oven:

Pavlova ingredients

Yessss!

The epic Pavlova, perfect for the low humidity Wyoming environment!  This uniquely Kiwi dessert is pretty incredible, with its combination of crunchy-on-the-outside, marshmallow-on-the-inside sweet pavlova, fresh whipped cream, and strawberries, which have started popping up in the grocery store in abundance, even in tiny Douglas.

I made it for the first time last week from an authentic New Zealand recipe, and my only comment is, Why the heck didn't I try this sooner?

Well, it may have had something to do with growing up in the perpetually damp Pacific Northwest.

[When I told him I couldn't make this dessert in high humidity, the SO said, "What, it's such a snobby dessert that it can't stand being a little damp?"  I tried to explain that meringue-like desserts don't like moisture, but I think he had gone back to his computer game by then]

Still.

Speaking of damp, we've actually had some rain in Wyoming lately.  We literally hadn't had any precipitation (save a few super dry snowstorms) since last October.  I'm amazed the grass was coming up at all.  But we've actually had a fair amount of rain (comparatively speaking, PNW friends) in the last few days, so I'm hopeful it will grow.

That also means I haven't been riding--since this whole place turns to super slick mud when it rains--I may not get much in before the move.

It's going to be so nice having Chevy close by!

2 comments:

  1. Could you PLEASE invite me over for dinner now? I promise I will appreciate the Greek Salad (it looks amazing!) and the Pavlova (of which I have never before heard of and NEED TO EAT RIGHT NOW). Plus, I will bring the wine AND do the dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sold! Just let me know when you're in Wyoming and I'll let you know if I ever get a food blog up :)

    ReplyDelete