Monday, May 28, 2012

Untouchable

Here's the horse that was almost untouchable 3 days ago.

Oh, hello.  Isn't my tiny hourglass snip adorable?

She now readily comes up to me to check in, wants to stay by me, doesn't crowd but is very friendly.

This photo pretty much sums it up: cautious but interested.

She is wearing my dear Ben's beautiful old leather halter.  I kept it in memory of him, but I didn't know when I'd ever have a horse again with a delicate little head for it to fit on.  It was actually pretty emotional taking it out and remembering him and when I first bought him the halter--I saved to get it, I wanted the best I could buy, something that looked as lovely as he did.  He had the perfect teacup muzzle and such a beautiful face.

It's funny how one piece of equipment can have some many memories.  So many times I put it on him to take him out for grazing, spending time with him, how many hundreds of times he wore it over the years when we were together.

Ben in June 2007, wearing his new halter at age 23

It's painful to remember.  In a strange way, passing the halter down to tiny horse helps me to let go...to move on a little bit, and to let part of him be in the world again, instead of just in my memories. 

Ironically, tiny horse's head is so tiny that the halter looks huge on her.  But I think she'll grow into it fine.

I also got her to eat a carrot today.  Finally gave it a try and discovered they are pretty good.  She still prefers hay though.

Dinnertime!
 
Don't worry Chev, the blog hasn't forgotten about you.

 I have a snip tooooo




No comments:

Post a Comment