Saturday, May 26, 2012

Hi Grandma & Grandpa! I have news.

It has been a joke in my family for many years that I would never have children.  I remember I decided this shortly after the birth of my little brother, which happened when I was 3.  Now that we're grown ups, I love him dearly.  Apparently I didn't feel that way when he first arrived.  My parents haven't given up all hope on me--yet.

So Mom and Dad, this post is for you.

I want to preface this with an acknowledgement of just how much trouble I am going to be in when you read this.  I want to also mention that I have been literally dreading phoning you for days and having this conversation.

It's not an attempt to suck up (it's probably a little late for that), but I truly, truly have the best parents in the world.  They are so kind, loving, and supportive, and though they don't really understand my equine or artistic endeavors they understand that both are really important to me.  It's not the life they would have chosen--and probably not the life they would have chosen for me--but they understand that it is my life, and they love me anyway.

Or...they did before this post, anyway.  Mom and Dad--call me as soon as you're done reading this, okay?  I'll be right by the phone.

Are you sitting down?  Presumably you are, since you're reading this on a computer...

Then let me introduce you to your second equine grandchild...

She doesn't have a name yet.  Will you help me name her?

This is the filly I fell head over heels for 3 months ago down in La Salle, CO.  Her registered name is Hollywoods Lil Sugar.  I went down to see her--twice--absolutely tried to talk myself out of it, tried to out-do her by looking at approximately 100,000 horse ads online...and nothing even came close.

Horses like this don't just pop up everywhere.  She is exactly what I've been looking for over the last year.  Except maybe the color...but I'll admit, the palomino look is growing on me.

It's been 2 years since I lost my old guy to cancer...and I am finally ready to have two horses again.

For a while there I even had 3, remember, Mom and Dad?  

Who am I kidding.  There is no way to really justify this to a non-horse person (read: a SANE person or persons, i.e. your parents, who already think you're nuts for moving one horse across the country).

Now I have 2 to move back home.  But I will do it, even if I have to stay here through another winter to raise the funds to make it happen.

But there are certain advantages to having 2 equines...

The major one being they can be kept in a pasture together with minimal worry that fences will be crashed through as lone horse tries desperately to get in with the herd down the road.

They have each other for companionship.

I've had 1 horse for 3 years, 2 horses for 4 years (3 for close to a year while I rehabbed a little black mare--more on her another time).  I know how much work, time and money they are already.

And if she wasn't just what I was looking for, I would have passed.  Believe me.  The 100,000 horse ads is probably not that much of an exaggeration.  I am very picky.

See, the deal is:  this is the first time I've had enough experience with ownership to know exactly what I'm looking for in a horse.

Ben was my first.  And bless his heart, he was the best first horse I could have asked for.  He was just what I needed and I still miss him like crazy.

Keelan bought Chevelle at auction as a 2 1/2 year old.  She had been handled, saddled, and could be sat on--she taught me a lot, especially that I could bring a horse up from not much training (especially since she was thrown out to pasture for 6 months before I did much with her), when to ask for help, and how to have the confidence to figure things out myself.  She has been very forgiving of the many training mistakes I've made over the years.  I love her dearly, but she is unregistered, very tall, and not built correctly for a lot of the horse sports I'm interested in.

Little black mare was a horse in desperate need.  I found her while horse shopping for a friend of mine.  She was a great little mare, auction-bound, owned by a clueless family, exceedingly overweight, very reactive, had probably been gamed & cowboy'd all over the place--I took her on the spot--and with proper exercise and consistent, calm training, she was a dynamite little horse with a killer stop.  She went to a lady who wanted to use her for trail riding, and it was a perfect fit.

So this horse is the first horse after Ben that I really get to choose for ME.  I wanted something small, reining-bred with the best bloodlines I could find, REGISTERED, show quality, highly trainable, kind, young, and not overly handled--and I knew I wanted a filly.  I wanted something with a big, kind eye.  I wanted plenty of time to work with the youngun before it was time to start saddle training, so I knew I wanted a 2 year old.  Of course looks up the wazoo didn't hurt anything.  She really fit the bill.

Not to mention, Chev is absolutely thrilled to not be alone in her pasture anymore--especially since the neighbors she did have moved up the road and out of sight--although for now, little filly is still in a pen while she learns easy catching, haltering, leading well, and picking up one's feet for the farrier.

The complication to this story is--after I had bought the filly (but before I had her hauled up here), the SO informed me that he intends to take an interview offered to him for a foreman position in Vancouver, WA.  They fly him out on June 11th.  I thought I had several months to save up the funds for horse transport, but if they want him (and I would just about KILL to live near Portland, my family, and my friends again, so that would be fine by me!) then we could be moving fast, fast, fast.  I'm looking into horse contacts coming out this way in the summer for the breed & World shows, and with a little luck should be able to hitch them a ride back with someone.  Anyone with barn recommendations in the Vancouver area (especially pasture board!), let me know!  I will be forever grateful to you.  (I'm lookin' at you, Mona!)

So...pictures.  Lots more pictures.

Big doe eyes and the tiniest, cutest snip I have ever seen.

Tiny horse

Tiny horse is ravenous

Tiny horse is tiny compared to monster horse

"Oh, hello.  Your hair is really messed up."

 "Who are you?  We are friends?"

 Ladies on alert

So that's my update--talk to you soon, Mom and Dad.
(Footnote:  SCENE: Kitchen of lovingly remodeled ranch-style 1970s home.  It is mid-morning.  The is an orange cat meandering around yowling even though he's already been fed.  Megan's father is reading the newspaper at the kitchen table next to his coffee cup which is half full.  Her mother is seated at the computer.  She is browsing a horse blog.  Suddenly she gasps, and exclaims

Megan's Mom:  "Oh my God--Alan!  Megan HAS ANOTHER HORSE!"

Megan's Dad:  "You're kidding!"

                                                                            ~FIN~                                                                          )

No comments:

Post a Comment