Monday, May 28, 2012

No dividing fence


No fence!

Chev was so good with her.

This is what I mean about the height difference.

I totally thought tiny horse was only like 12 hands.

I was able to get my trusty height/weight tape out and was absolutely shocked to learn...that she is actually 13.3 hands (the same height as Smart Little Lena).

My Ben honey was only 14.2 with shoes on.

I guess I've just been in the land of the giant horse for too long.  So even if she only grows another inch or two, I'll be happy.

She let me pick her feet up without incident and even do a little filing on them today.  In a few days she'll be ready for that much-needed farrier appointment.

Here's a picture of her daddy at 3 (yeah I know, photoshop, yada yada yada--don't look at the colors or the tail, look at the natural/Monte Foreman stop!):



I think she should be able to stop just as well.

It is really interesting to watch her in the paddock.  She doesn't go in a small circle to turn around, she pivots on her inside hind foot.  She slide stops.  She turns with her head on the ground.  She was totally born for this stuff.

In other news:  She decided she LOVES carrots now.

On a possibly related note:  She is always right by my side in the paddock.

Things are going well so far.

I think Chev will be much happier when she's in the pasture too, so I'm trying to give her a couple hours grazing time to get her used to it before I take the plunge and turn her out...then I get to see how well my "come to me"/catch training really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment