Saturday, February 11, 2012

The rearing horse, part 2: when it's not the horse's fault

Oh lord.

You know how I said the other day that there's nothing that terrifies me more than a rearing horse?  Especially if the rearing is sudden and unpredictable, and has little to do with the rider?

This video is an example of the OPPOSITE of unpredictable rearing (thanks to Fugly Horse of the Day for leading me to a distinct rise in blood pressure and these few minutes of my life I can never get back).  Watch on...





There is so much wrong with this video it's hard for me to even know where to start.  In no particular order:

1. Unbroke horse in huge shank bit on a tight rein
2. Stupid idiot on horse in shorts and tennis shoes
3. No arena (not a requirement for breaking horses, but a darn good idea)
4. No helmet (this one's debatable, but it's a still good idea given the circumstances)
5. Hightly distracting and stressful environment
6. Uncapped T-poles for the pasture near enough to get impaled on (uncapped t-posts anywhere are a big no-no...I have a personal story about that one for later)
7. Stupid idiot is wearing spurs too (OH HE ISN'T?? That's a miracle!  We have to give him credit for one thing, I guess)

 Remember how I said before (I did, didn't I?) that horses will rear as a result of too much information that a horse can't make sense of?  This video is a perfect example of that.  He's hauling back on the reins which are attached to a truly horrific looking bit (on an unbroke horse!), which the other guy pulls her head, and he attempts to kick her forward.  It doesn't look to me like she could be much more braced and tense.  She's getting so many mixed messages that she doesn't know what to do...so she rears.  And I think it was completely justified.

He also just leaps up there with no finesse or concern for her well-being, lands hard, and screws with his stirrups FOREVER.  And what does she do?  Nothing.  She stands patiently, even though she's nervous.  She thinks that is what she is supposed to do.  She is a good horse.

So who didn't see that coming?  Was she just going to stand there being pulled all sorts of directions, in pain forever?  Nope...

This is also a perfect example of: Brute Force Ain't No Way to Train a Horse.

This is so far away from "feel" that it's not even in the same universe.

And what has this horse learned from this...ahem, "training session"?

Looks to me like she's learned that someone will get on her, hurt her mouth, yank her head, and kick her sides until she rears and dumps them.

I also love how the other spectator runs away from the horse after the guy falls off, like she's some sort of "crazed, dang'rus an'mal, y'all!!"

What a terrific start.

Lord, that poor animal.

I think we all need a little "brain bleach" after that one, don't we?  So here's one of my favorite rides of all time:  Dr. Klimke and his marvelous horse, Ahlerich, performing in New York in 1987--and still brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it.  I wish I could have found a clip that was better quality. Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. "horses will rear as a result of too much information that a horse can't make sense of" I've never heard rearing described like this, and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sensory overload causes rearing in a lot of these horses, when the action is linked to the rider and not some outside force (like an abscess, strain, etc).

    Before you know it, rearing becomes a trained, ingrained response--a response the rider has "trained" the horse to do by falling off (and therefore relieving the pressure on the horse) or by backing down (which also relieves the pressure and "rewards" the horse). In this case, what else could the horse have really done? It worked so well for her though, that I can't help but assume she'll think of it again next time she's in this situation.

    The thing that gets me is, a lot of people would watch that video and think that horse just reared up and dumped the guy out of the blue...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right. I've never had a real rearer, so never put much thought into it... I'm totally putting this into the toolbox for later, though. I have to say, hated the beginning of that video, but loved the end. That guy totally got what he deserved. Wish I could upgrade that filly though, she's a saint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's how I feel too!

    But isn't the video of Klimke simply lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. RHF, there might be a good reason you've never had a "real rearer". And I'd take that as a compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Klimke is one of my favorites to watch. That's what dressage is supposed to look like! And, thanks... I'll take the compliment ;) I've been lucky to have very good mentors through my riding career, and I feel like I got to learn many lessons the easy way.

    ReplyDelete