Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A bit of a break

I last rode Chev on 2/4.  We had some good moments, I was brave and went right to the hackamore for the whole ride (no snaffle bit warm up this time!).  But she felt pretty stiff and a little sore and I know we've been working really hard lately, so I'm giving her a few days off.

Chevy has one of those brains that sort of short circuits if you ride too much.  She's not a horse you could do arena work with every day.  She needs a couple days here and there to work things out, and I think the indoor arena rides left her a little frazzled (and more than a little muscle sore, since she needs to be so much more collected to work in a 45' wide space).

So we are both getting a little bit of a break.  I'll go out and visit her tomorrow, turn her out in the arena so she can have some time away from Speedy to roll and charge around on her own terms.  I'm sure she won't mind the break.

Plus she's due for some new shoes in about a week.  So maybe we'll pick up there.

Here's what it looks like around my neck of the woods (errr, prairie):

Platte River path, Douglas, WY

I took this the other day when we went for a walk along the river.  This is in town...so that gives you an idea of the kind of booming metropolis I live in.

On the upside, without horse riding weighing heavily on my mind, I did get some work done in my studio over the weekend, and got back to painting a little bit.  I've been mostly working on drawings and trying to come up with some extra money.

If YOU are one of those rare horse people with extra funds laying around, consider a commission!  I am great at horse portraits, and I really enjoy doing them (after many years of art school and not being "allowed" to draw horses, it's a treat!).  And yes, this is a shameless plug for work.  I only have one small project I'm working on right now--a logo for a horse trainer I know up in Washington state--and heck, even if you don't have any money, looking is free!  I would love it if you went in & had a look around.

Here's the link:  www.mandrewsgallery.com

 Sparkafide print close-up

Happy riding!

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to have you create a logo for my training business. Email me with details?? theredhorsefarm@gmai.com :)

    ReplyDelete