Monday, January 16, 2012

My cardinal rules of training

These are the most basic rules for me in Chev's training, and some of them I didn't learn easily, though they are all simple:

1) Make the right thing easy, and the wrong thing hard.  My number one rule.

2)  Ask first with the cue you want responded to.

3)  Request.  Insist.  Tell.  In that order.

4)  Work is not it's own reward.  Rest is a reward.

5)  Releases for correct responses need to be immediate.

The basic nature of the average horse is very good, and generally quite forgiving.  Since I have the luxury of training only one horse, I'm able to tailor my training methods to her personality.  So, I'd like that to be a caveat.  I believe the above rules to be applicable to MOST horses.

Doubtless I'll amend them as our training continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment