Saturday, January 21, 2012

Do you have a plan?

Today I want to talk about something no one wants to think about.

Do you have a plan for your horse if something terrible should happen to you?

On my fridge I have a note that reads, "In the event of my death: Chevelle is to go to M****** C******.  Her phone number is *** *** ****, she is in Washington and she will expect the call."  I have it signed and dated at the bottom.

My Significant Other knows the plan should I die on the highway, have some sort of unexplained heart attack, or get abducted by aliens.  The remaining money in my bank account is to be used for shipping Chev to Washington.  My two beloved kitties, who have always lived with the SO, will continue to live with him.

I made sure to pick her next mom as carefully as I could.  The woman I picked knows Chev, and was even involved in her early training.  They have a special bond.  Hell, they love each other.  And I know she would be well cared for for the rest of her days if I wasn't there to share them with her.

I need to have an actual will drawn up, and to mail it to my parents and everyone else who would be involved in this situation.  But I feel at least a little comforted that there is a plan in place should the unthinkable happen.

I couldn't bear to think of Chev sold off to who knows where.

Most state livestock laws dictate that in the event of the owner's death or abandonment, unless someone can legally take possession of the horse, the barn he is boarded at is free to auction the horse to the highest bidder and pocket the change.

So...

Do you have a plan?


ETA: I now have a legal will & testament dictating the information above. Signed copies are going out to all concerned on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. I have a plan. Because there is no one I trust absolutely, my horses will be euthanized. It is in my will and my husband is aware. I own special needs horses, and do not want to put the onus of care on to someone unwilling or unable to provide the quality of life they deserve. At least with euthanasia, they won't be left to an unsure future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whisper_the_wind, I completely respect and support that decision. I also truly believe it is the kindest and most humane thing to do for elderly or special needs horses in that situation. Nothing pains me more than seeing people dump their old horses, whatever the circumstance. It rarely ends well for them. The horse won't miss the lost future--they live blissfully in the moment. I wish I could be more like that!

    ReplyDelete