Sunday, January 22, 2012

Big plans

I can't wait to ride tomorrow.

It's winter in Wyoming, and that means lots of snow, ice and wind.  Chev is also boarded at a barn 40 miles away.

I can get three round trips out of a tank of gas--almost four, but it would be a real bummer to get stuck out on the highway with an empty tank 20 miles from the nearest town.

I am waiting for a check in the mail, payment for one of my reining horse prints, so I can go get gas.

Unfortunately for me, the distance and the $10 it costs every time I drive to the barn combined with my intense artist poverty means I don't get out as often as I'd like, especially in the winter, when the weather is also unpleasant or impossible to drive in.

But I really have to get out there.

I think tomorrow I'll try her in the indoor arena again.  I'm going to stick to my cardinal rules as much as possible.

Last time was her first time working in the new indoor arena.  You can read about our crazy first session here.  We've both had a few days to think it over, so I'm hopeful for a productive ride.

I'd love to ride her in the hackamore (bosal + mecate), but I won't use it if she can't focus.  She's new to the hackamore and I need all of her brain to succeed there.  She's been in the snaffle for 3 years, and we both know what to expect with that.

Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment